Friday, April 13, 2007

Snuggling my babies...

"Cleaning and dusting can wait 'til tomorrow,
For babies grow up, I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs, and dust, go to sleep...
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep."
~Author unknown, at least to me!
I just had the exquisite pleasure of snuggling both of my kids to sleep for naptime -- they don't usually nap anymore, but we've all been dragging this week (understandably) and so to nap they went. David cuddled against me and fell asleep after we read a couple of books, and then Abigail (who does not usually like to be cuddled when she's tired) didn't want to let go of me, so I rocked her to sleep...and then rocked her for quite a while after she fell asleep, just for the sheer joy of my littlest one tucked into my lap.
This is a pleasure that I wish I had indulged in more often from the very beginning, but it took a few years of motherhood to begin to get some insight into just how fast our babies grow up. It seems that the days just fly by and if I don't make the time to have "moments" with the kids, those moments aren't likely to happen on their own.
Of course, while I rocked my babies this afternoon, the cobwebs didn't quiet down, nor did the dust go to sleep, so both kids are in bed now so that I can tackle the laundry...but I am warm and fuzzy with the joy of the last hour!

No comments: