Saturday, May 16, 2009

In the yard...

Here's a springtime tour around our yard...
We have a few towering trees out back -- we found out this year that they are commonly known as tulip poplars, although they are not actually poplars, but part of the magnolia family -- they are loaded with these blossoms in the spring. Not only are they pretty, but they also have a honeysuckle-ish smell -- the whole yard is perfumed with their scent when the breeze blows in the right direction. This year's blooming is the most prolific one we've seen yet (this is our sixth spring in Georgia).Here's a big, beautiful bloom on my peony. Peonies are some of my favorite flowers anyway, but this is an especially-special plant since it came from my Grandma Minota's garden (Grandma was a gifted gardener -- the kind that could take a twig, stick it in the ground, and make it grow -- she died in September 1997, so she wasn't there to see us get married in June 1998...but my aunt dug up several of Grandma's plants for me and it's a very special thing to have some of Grandma's plants in my garden!).Also transplanted from her garden to mine, a Bleeding Heart. Last year it looked pretty peaked, but this year it's thriving! This is the last of our Lily of the Valley for this season -- they are transplants my parents brought me several years ago from their farm in NY and they smell heavenly...I love that they bloom just in time for my birthday every year!New flowers/plants at the base of the birdbathA new Clematis...hopefully it will cooperate and climb up the retaining wall at the bottom of our driveway!I chose this lovely Calla Lily plant for my Mother's Day giftThe roses out front are loaded with blossoms
Replanted pots on my front porch stepsA close-up of my front porch potMy herb garden...the white lavender is just starting to bloom, the amaryllis is almost ready to open, the climbing rose is magnificent (the picture doesn't do it justice), the mint is conquered for now...! I am looking forward to summer mornings spent puttering in my gardens!

4 comments:

Debbie Griffin said...

So very beautiful! I'm getting the bug to do some plantings in our yard this year, too...I've heard there are a few things that the deer will leave alone--peonies, lilies, lily of the valley, sedum (sp?)and hydrangeas--we have some massively old evergreen bushes (like 25 years old) that have taken over so it's going to be a HUGE job! I think I'll tackle it when the kids make their annual 2 week trek to the grandparents in just a couple of weeks! You've definitely inspired me...btw...your spring flowers are our mid summer flowers! :-)

Delighted Hands said...

Oh, thakns for the yard tour-wish I was there in person-it looks wonderful. The bird bath garden is a nice addition!

Anonymous said...

GRoovy Pops Says Its a beautiful yard.Drink it in.

cj and family said...

Absolutely beautiful! :o)