Saturday, September 04, 2010

My current quilt -- Abigail's bed quilt

After we re-did Abigail's room, I decided it was time to make her a quilt.  I wanted something classic and timeless.  I decided on a nine-patch (it has the perfect old-timey look I wanted), with the colored blocks done in pastel rainbow fabrics interspersed with solid white blocks using fabrics reminiscent of the old feedsack fabrics.

Little did I know how hard it would be to find peach fabric -- what a nightmare!!!  I want what I refer to as "1980s-wedding peach"...with a small monochromatic or white print, but it has been hard to find.  I have found one that fits the bill, but I need a second.  I decided, though, that I can work on the rest of the quilt while I continue to hunt down that peach.

The fabrics (in this picture you can see the second almost-peach fabric that I have since disqualified.  It just doesn't work.)
 Cutting...with my helper :)
 Colored strips, cut to size and ready to sew.  The photo color is a bit off but you get the general idea! (The yellow on the left is going to get the boot if I can find one I like better.  I don't like how its print doesn't quite match the mood of the other fabrics.  But again, it's a hard color to find.) 
Tonight's work -- orchid fabric #1's  finished blocks!

3 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Hang in there for your hard-to-find colors......this is going to be a beauty!

Amy Friend said...

It will be so pretty! I wish I had some peach for you.

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that both you and your Mom have cats that are so talented in the quilting and knitting arts. Sharon