Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Our trip to New York...Lake Ontario

My grandparents accommodated us in regard to our love for learning, too! We took a field trip to Fort Ontario, which was first established in 1755. I hadn't been there since I was a child and it was SO fascinating.While we were on top of the fort's ramparts, we got to watch a big cement-carrier cargo ship, the English River, coming in to dock, which was very interesting. The weather was perfect for a lakeside trip, and the views of Lake Ontario were beautiful. As we drove through Oswego, my grandparents pointed out a lot of places that have some bit of family history, and they shared stories and "I remember when"s (which I love!). We also stopped at a lakeside playground for the kids to burn off some energy. :) We went to dinner at Rudy's, which is an area landmark -- my grandpa used to bring my grandma here when they were dating, and they've now been married 56 years! -- where we enjoyed fish sandwiches at a lakeside table.
Afterward, we enjoyed skipping rocks in Lake Ontario...
...and collecting some to bring home.
To end our outing, we enjoyed ice cream at the lakeside (an outing is not an outing until you've had ice cream...so says my grandma!).
Such a nice day!

2 comments:

Debbie Griffin said...

that last picture of David and Abigail by the trees is priceless! It's one the best I've seen in a long time of anyone's kiddos! Looks like you've had a great time in New York!

Delighted Hands said...

And the Lake imparts its beauty to another generation........