Friday, June 18, 2010

Summer visitors day 5...last day

Today was a slow day...everyone was a little tired and so we made the day as relaxed as possible.  S helped me with early-morning kitchen duty today.
The only battle of the wills (and it was a very minor one) this week was first thing Monday morning, when S insisted that I pick her up every time the cat came in the room.  Well, knowing that the cat is very sweet and not at all a threat to anyone, and considering the fact that the cat loves to be in the center of everybody all the time, that just wasn't practical!  S had a little quiet time to consider the ruling and pretty quickly decided that she would like the cat instead.  That decided, it was like someone flipped a switch, and S has loved on her ever since!  Mindy is a wonderfully patient cat, so she has tolerated all of the extra 'love' that has been bestowed upon her this can even see her returning S's hug in this picture.
After some playtime, it was Friday goody bag time.  Today's surprises were construction paper, crayons, scented markers, and glitter glue pens.  What a hit!  The kids all spent quite a long time working on pictures.
After craft time, it was nail polish time.  The girls each got to pick out their polish color and a nail-art sticker and they all thoroughly enjoyed the primping and preening.  David had fun watching and then, when he'd remember himself, he'd busily act goofy so as to convince all of the girls that he thought we were ridiculous (note his mischievous grin and the cropped-out bunny ears in this picture).  I forgot to take an 'after' picture of all the girls and their nails -- whoops!
Abigail had OT today...doesn't it figure that this is the only week this summer that got stuck this way (going twice in a week) but everyone was very sweet about it.  We went a little early because I needed a few things at JoAnn Fabrics, so the kids 'helped' me pick out some quilt fabric there, then we headed to the appointment.  We had the whole waiting area to ourselves while Abigail was in her OT, so the kids all sprawled out to color (they just had to bring their new paper and markers) and have some down-time.  When we got home, it was time for Friday family night -- pizza and popcorn in the living room while watching one of the American Girl movies.
After that was bedtime...the long-awaited girls' campout night.  Every other night, we've kept our two in one bedroom and the three girls in the other bedroom so as to ensure well-rested kids each day...but since this is the last night, we let the girls stay in one room together.  They were as giggly and excited as girls always are at events like this!  (David was mollified by getting to sleep on the couch downstairs.)  Judging by the noise level that quickly diminished once we turned the lights out, though, I think the girls only lasted about ten minutes before they fell asleep!!!

 Just before bed tonight, S and I had a sweet little exchange...
S said, "Only one more day!"
Me:  "Until what?"
S: "Saturday!"
Me: "Ohhhhh...and what happens on Saturday?"
S: "Mommy and Daddy tum det us [come get us]!!!"
The girls are all so very excited about that!


Delighted Hands said...

You have done a nice job chronicling your week together!

Bethany said...

I think you did a wonderful job at making this a memorable week for the girls and your kids!

Lynne said...

Great job, Marsel, in keeping five kids happy for the week. I'll bet you're a bit tired now and looking forward to a break. ;-)

Peggy said...

What a wonderful week the girls must have had. You certainly made each day a memory for them. After reading this post, I had to go back and see each day.