Friday, January 30, 2009

History field trip

Yesterday Greta & I took our kids to the Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History. It was a very nicely done museum and I plan to go back again with Bruce, too! I love history, and Civil War is one of my favorite time periods in American history, so it was fascinating to see uniforms, weapons, everyday items, etc, from the War. We spent most of our time in the children's area (for obvious reasons!), where they had a Civil War period "town" and dress-up clothes, lots of interactive locomotive/railroad history displays, train sets and other themed toys, and even a working telegraph system that transmitted from one end of the room to the other.
Christopher & Abigail in the play areaCharlie, Lauren, & David as Civil War charactersCharlie & Abigail sending a telegramAll of the kids And a rare sight indeed -- a picture of Greta & me! I loved this sign from the 1920s...its quirky drama struck me as very humorous!

1 comment:

Delighted Hands said...

Oh , it looks like you had a great time!