Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I am thankful for the gas shortage

Yes, it's a pain not to be able to find gas. However, the current gas shortage has been a very good reminder to me that I should be thankful every time I go to a gas station and fill up...up until the last couple of weeks, it was a privilege I took completely for granted. After a fruitless search both Monday and yesterday, last night I arrived home with only 30 miles until empty, so the van was parked to stay until a gas station within range got gas again. It's a strange feeling to be homebound because of a lack of fuel -- I don't ever remember that happening before! I made my first call this morning just before five o'clock to try to find gas. At 6:15 I found one about ten or so miles away, so I grabbed a PopTart for the still-groggy kids (I had to get Abigail out of bed), books etc in case we were in line for an hour or more, and we headed down the road for our "adventure" (the kids thought it was grand excitement!). I was soon reminded again of God's mercy, even in the little details of our lives. As I drove by Kroger (who, when I called at 5 a.m., had reported still no gas), I saw the tanker truck starting to refill them, so I did a quick turnaround and was first in line for gas. The Lord not only provided me with fuel, He also gave it to me two minutes from my house, He spared us a long wait in line, I was able to get free air for my tires, AND I was able to get ten cents off the regular gasoline price with my Kroger rewards!!! I was also able to call Bruce (who hadn't left for work yet), so he was able to swing by and fill up as well. It was a sweet thing to share with the kids -- we have been praying that we would be able to find gas for Mommy's van, and so they were able to share in the excitement as we thanked God for providing for us. I am thankful for a full tank of gas, and I am also thankful for the reminder of God's work in our lives, even in the tiny, "insignificant" details. How much more can I trust Him with the "big" issues, if He cares so much about me in the little ones?!
"For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? "And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. "But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! "Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Matthew 6:25-34

3 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

What an excellent encouragement to the start of a day. Thanks for sharing and glad you finally got some fuel! Have a good at-home day!

Debbie Griffin said...

I LOVE being able to show the kids the Lord's goodness like that to us! It His way of saying, "I Love You!" and doing above what we could ever ask or hope for. And now you'll have a better day knowing you can go out if you want to even though you'll probably stay home!

cj and family said...

We do serve a GOOD God who takes care of us in even the smallest details! Thanks for sharing, and I'm so glad you found fuel!